Monday, April 28, 2008

Start spreadin' the news!!!








New York’s Yankee Stadium (a/k/a The House that Ruth built) originally opened in 1923, and has seen some of the most legendary players don the Yankee pinstripes. Even the most casual baseball observers know the names of Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle and Berra. It has also been the home to 26 world championship Yankee teams. When one thinks of baseball lore, the New York Yankees are usually at the forefront.

With a $1.3 billion stadium slated to open in 2009, this season will be the last year in which the New York Yankees play in Yankee Stadium. With that in mind, my brother and I made a pact that we were going to get to a game in that famed baseball cathedral in the Bronx.

Today, we made it official!! We booked our flights and lodging for New York City and are planning on taking in the July 23rd afternoon game against our beloved Twins!

As it is, this will be my first trip ever into NYC. We even booked our room at the Wellington Hotel, which is right in Manhattan!

85 days and counting. Man, I can’t wait!!

------------------------------------------

5 comments:

Leo Pusateri said...

Pack me up in your suitcase, man!

Anonymous said...

Grrrr! I have a class at Hamline that week! Double Grrr! I can't go. Sigh.....

W.B. Picklesworth said...

That sounds just great. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Here's a tip if you want to go up to the viewing deck at the Empire State Building:

On the uptown side of the ESB on 34th there is a restaurante called Playwrights (or there was a couple of years ago). If you eat there you can ask for a VIP pass that lets you breeze past all the lines and checkpoints (and there are a lot of them) on your way to the observation deck. I think we went from street to deck in about 15 minutes, as opposed to two hours which it can sometimes take. More details in my Gotham Blog series under "nights on the road" in my sidebar.

Anonymous said...

My mistake; Playwright's is on 35th.