Friday, August 10, 2007

Enjoy only those days which end in 'y'.

This is the day the LORD has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
-Psalm 118:24



Friday is always the favorite day of the working crowd. It’s inevitable that whenever you ask someone how they’re doing on that day, you’ll usually get a response like “Great! After all, it’s Friday!!”

That mentality is pretty common amongst those who put in a long work week. Hey, I can’t necessarily be critical since I too have an extra bounce in my step at the end of a five-day week on the job. The part I don’t get is how people essentially wish away their lives so that the weekend gets here as soon as possible.

I have a dear friend whom I have known for over twenty years. He is married now with a couple of kids. I will occasionally check in with him to see how he’s doing. Depending upon the day, I can pretty much predict his response.

“How are things?”, I’ll ask.

Monday: “OK. Only four more days until Friday.”

Wednesday: “Can’t complain. It’s hump day!!”

Friday: “Great!! The weekend is almost here!!!”

But in the same conversation he’ll talk about his kid going into fifth grade this year. “I can’t believe he’s gonna be a fifth grader. I remember the day he was born like it was last week. Where did that ten years go?”

My first inclination is to jump down his throat and say “WHAT DO YOU MEAN ‘WHERE DID THE TIME GO’? YOU’VE BEEN WISHING AWAY FIVE DAYS A WEEK FOR YEARS”

Since he is indeed a wonderful friend, I resist that urge.

The bottom line is we should embrace every day like it’s our last. Can you imagine the things you would do or say differently if you knew you didn’t have tomorrow?

Jesus said in Matthew 6:34 “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Live for today! It’s really the only day which is guaranteed to us.

-----------------------------------------------

No comments: