Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A brand new life around the bend.

In looking back on my life, I’ve always had a tendency to take my time doing things.

Some were by choice:

-I didn’t get my driver’s license until two months after my 17th birthday.

-I took five full years to finish college.

-I didn’t own my first home nor get married until I was 31-years old.

-As of today (Age 38), I have no kids.


Some things, not by choice:

-My voice didn’t fully change until I was about 17. In fact, whenever people would call the house before then, many thought it was my mother answering the phone. Man, that was annoying!

-I was only 5’11” when I graduated high school. I didn’t reach my full height of 6’2” until my freshman year of college.

-As of today (Age 38), I have no kids.


With the recent loss of my job, I realized it’s time to enhance my marketability. I have been working in the Accounting field for over 13 years now with nothing more than a bachelor’s degree. So I’ve finally decided to bite the bullet and prepare to take the CPA exam. With no children at this point, I have the discretionary income as well as the time to take a review course as part of the preparation for the big test.

It’s been fifteen years since I’ve obtained my B.S. in Accounting. Many of my fellow graduates have had their CPA certificate for more than ten years now. I guess I’ve never been one to have the “Keep up with the Joneses” mentality. I like to do things at my own pace, for better or worse. But now that my wife is one year away from completing her Masters degree in Education, I feel it’s best to follow her example and try to make the most of my chosen career path.

As I have mentioned before, my wife and I are in the midst of the adoption process. Since we have yet to be blessed with children naturally, perhaps we are now getting a sense as to why there has been a delay in that area of our life. I can’t imagine both my wife & I continuing our education while having young children.

Whatever the case, we’re looking forward to our many adventures over the next twelve months!!

-----------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Dan said...

If you do have kids and ever decide to quit a high stress, 70 hour per week for something simpler, never mention it on a blog because you'll never live it down.

Brad Carlson said...

Are you describing what has happened to you after leaving your job in Bloomington?