Monday, March 27, 2006

Watching ladies skate? Go figure.

When do you tell your wife you love her? Whenever possible.

What is one of many ways you can show your wife you love her? By taking a genuine interest in what she’s interested in.

My wife has been a fan of figure skating for quite some time. Even before the superficial interest generated by the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding scandal, my wife always eagerly anticipated the Olympic figure skating championships.

Over the past few Olympics, I have learned the names of such stars as Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes, Tara Lipinski and Sasha Cohen. I have even gone so far to take in interest in my wife’s favorite skater (Kwan) and her attempts to land the elusive Olympic gold medal.

Saturday evening, my vague interest seemed to turn into borderline fanaticism.

We were visiting my in-laws Saturday evening when I went to their computer to check espn.com. With the NCAA men’s basketball tournament taking place, I was eager to see the results of that day’s games. Before I went to the college scoreboard, I saw a headline that stated 16-year old Kimmie Meissner won the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships. I sprung out of the chair to tell my wife the exciting news. I knew it would please her since she liked Meissner but was not a fan of Cohen.

My wife’s reaction was as predicted. Mine, however, was highly unusual. I found myself enthusiastically giving details of Meissner’s victory, how she nailed seven “triples” in a near “flawless skate.”

I even joined my wife in watching the replay of the skate on ESPN. In watching Meissner skate I commented on her perfect landings after the “triple Lutz-double toe.” But when I used the phrase “triple Salchow”, I knew something had gone desperately wrong. I had gone from being a loving, supportive husband to, dare I say, a FAN???!!

How could this be? I live to see a hard-hitting tackle in an NFL game. I gauge the quality of an NHL fight by the amount of blood spilled.

But being engrossed in ladies figure skating??

Not to worry. Emasculation had not set in. This afternoon, I sat down to watch college basketball. I sat in my favorite chair with a bowl of popcorn in my lap, my favorite beverage (Diet Coke) in one hand……

…..and my other hand tucked in the front of my pants.

All seemed right with the world.

No comments: