Monday, March 13, 2006

Remembering Kirby with a smile.


As expected, the Kirby Puckett memorial service on Sunday at the Metordome ran the gamut of emotions. There were cheers and tears as well laughter and sadness.

Here is one final laugh-out-loud moment that made Kirby the jolly fella we all wish to remember.

In May of 1997, Kirby stopped by “The Late Show with David Letterman” to be a part of the Letterman staple known as the “Top Ten” lists.

The category?

Top Ten Ways to Mispronounce Kirby Puckett

10. Kooby Pickett

9. Creepy Pockets

8. Bernie Crumpet

7. Turkey Bucket

6. Buddy Hackett

5. The Puckett Formerly Known as Kirby

4. Punky Brewster

3. Kent Hrbek

2. There once was a man from Nantucket who Kirbied his very own Puckett


AND #1.....

....... Englepuck Kirbydink

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Brad-

Some blogs that I have been reading are reporting that at times the service was like a rally for the democrats.

I guess some speakers felt the need to make comments. I don't know I did not get a chance to attend or view it on T.V., did you hear this or what are your thoughts about it.

Brad Carlson said...

I saw the last 20 minutes or so of the service. Dan Gladden, Al Newman, Kent Hrbek and Tom Kelly were the ones I heard speak. So if there was any “Wellstonian” type atmosphere there, it was lost on me. I can’t imagine how something like a memorial service for Kirby Puckett could morph into some sort of political rally. Again, in the portion I watched I saw or heard nothing along those lines.

Do you know which blogs were saying this? I would be interested in checking them out.