Sunday, April 12, 2009

From the resurrection to the rapture.

It isn’t just Easter when I think of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. In fact, I often acknowledge it in prayer when thanking God for blessing us “exceedingly, abundantly above what we could ever think or ask.” Think about it. If God had never bestowed one blessing upon us in our entire existence on Earth, just giving the life of His only son so that we may have eternal life is a debt we’ll never be able to repay. And through His grace and mercy, we don’t have to!

But when I think of the resurrection, I find myself contemplating Jesus’ return to bring His people home. Sure, there’s been endless speculation and countless theories as to when that blessed event will occur. In fact, I hear you can get a great discount on a book entitled 88 Reason Why the Rapture will be in 1988.

Other incorrect estimations of Jesus’ return were based on the verses in Matthew 24:1-33, which describe end-time events in relation to Israel. Then Matthew 24:34 states that this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Since Israel became a nation in 1948 and the standard generation is estimated at 52.4 years, many calculated Jesus’ return around 2000-2001. But as Jesus himself explicitly states in Matthew 24:36, ”No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

But if one does indeed reads the entire 24th chapter of Matthew, one could easily surmise that the second coming is imminent. Again, only our Father God knows the exact hour. Nevertheless, it’s still interesting to try and pinpoint a time frame.

2 Peter 3:8 says But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. Taken literally, a thousand years is equivalent to 24 hours, meaning there are 41.7 years per hour. After his crucifixion, Jesus rose from the dead early on the third day. Now let us assume that Jesus’ second coming would parallel His resurrection. If indeed a day is like a thousand years, this point in time is definitely “early” on the third day after the crucifixion. And if Jesus rose from His grave early in the morning, then His return for His bride will occur “early” in this millennium. How early? Suppose He arose at, say, 1:00 a.m. on the third day. One hour after the beginning of a day would equate to approximately 42 years. If that’s the case, Jesus is slated to return in 2042. That means a distinct possibility of my being alive to see it!

Whatever the case, we can all rejoice that there is a tomb that has been empty for more than two thousand years. And that is why we commemorate this wonderful holiday.

Have a very blessed Easter everyone!

-------------------------------------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FOR PRETRIB RAPTURE REPEATERS

Congratulations! You are now fulfilling the Bible which says "Come now, and let us repeat together."
Be sure to repeat what Walvoord, Lindsey, LaHaye, Ice etc. repeat what their own teachers repeat what their own teachers repeat etc. etc. etc.!
Repeat that Christ's return is imminent because we're told to "watch" (Matt. 24, 25) for it. So is the "day of God" (II Pet. 3:12) - which you admit is at least 1000 years ahead - also imminent because we're told to be "looking for" it?
Also repeat the pretrib myths about the "Jewish wedding stages" and "Jewish feasts" (where's your "church/Israel dichotomy" now?) even though Christ and Paul knew nothing about a "pretrib stage" and neither did any official theological creed or organized church before 1830!
You should read "Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty" on the "Powered by Christ Ministries" site to find out why you shouldn't repeat everything your pretrib teachers repeat.
Do I have to repeat this?

(above seen on web - Lillian)

Brad Carlson said...

To me, the rapture is almost beside the point. My goal is to talk about the gospel of Jesus Christ to as many people as I can so they too can understand what He has done for them. Basically, I want non-believers to obtain the joy and peace I have because I know the best is yet to come.

Like Jesus told his disciples:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."Bottom line: as long as I can be where Jesus is, I don't care if it's via the rapture or after my flesh dies. Our time on Earth is a whiff of time relative to eternity in Heaven.