Saturday, January 26, 2008

Checking in from Twins Fest 2008!

There’s nothing like talking baseball in late January. Given the subzero temperatures we’ve had over the past couple of weeks, it’s refreshing to think about the boys of Summer getting ready to report to Spring Training in less than a month! And there’s not a better way to start thinking about my favorite club, the Minnesota Twins, than to partake in the annual Twins Fest at the Metrodome. I don’t know if it was planned this way but the Twins created an extra buzz of excitement for this weekend by signing two of their young studs, Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer, to contract extensions. Whatever the case, the fans were out in droves on a Saturday afternoon at the Dome to share in the enthusiasm for the upcoming season.





Here I am pictured with the Twins World Series championship trophies from 1987 (top) and 1991.


My Wisconsin relatives always like to rib me about how their Green Bay Packers have a full case of championship trophies while my Minnesota Vikings have none. I’m always quick to reply by asking how many of the trophies pictured above do their Milwaukee Brewers have.







Seeing the scale model of the new Twins stadium, as well as a digitally manipulated photo of what downtown Minneapolis will look like in April 2010, has me counting down the next 26 months or so.







Fox Sports Net asked Twins fans to share some of their most memorable moments of the ball club. I decided to share one of my favorite memories, which was the Twins capturing their first World Series title in franchise history. FSN will hand pick some of the submissions to use during a Twins TV broadcast.

-----------------------------------------

1 comment:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Some of the Twins were at the Holiday Inn where we were celebrating my sister's wedding with food and dance. My brother ran across Michael Cuddyer and got his picture taken. (I was much too focused on the prospect of dancing with my lovely courtship buddy and missed out on the opportunity.)