Sunday, November 05, 2006

Letter to Doug.

An open letter to commenter Doug.

Since my buddy Mitch Berg has had his comment section down, some vapid, vacuous putz guy named Doug felt the need to go elsewhere with his thoughts.

My wife, Jennifer (who is A LOT nicer than I), has decided to write Doug a letter.


Dear Doug,

Occasionally I get a wild hair, and post something on my husband’s blog. I am not a blogger, so this method of communication is uncomfortable for me. I have something to say to you. It has been bothering me for a while. So here it is.

God loves you. Yes, I know it sounds simple and silly. But sometimes the truth is. I sense from your numerous posts on various blogs that you are angry about something. I just want you to know that God cares about whatever it is that is bothering you. I have a few scriptures to share with you.

God’s word says to “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5: 8 Sometimes it is really hard to hear God, when the enemy is making all that racket. It’s all around us. The news, war, family squabbles, work issues…..I could go on and on. Don’t let the enemy drown out God. We are sinful creatures. We make mistakes. Sometimes we lose our self-control and the enemy ‘devours’ us. Don’t let other peoples errors (big or small) be the reason you listen to the roaring and tune God out.

I think God is sometimes like the wind. It can be fierce and gentle. God doesn’t roar at us. He whispers like a gentle breeze. It can be really easy to miss. Psalm 46:10 says “Be still and know that I am God”. Tune out the roaring, Doug. Be still. God has something to say to you. No, I don’t mean he will speak out loud like a human voice (not that He couldn’t or wouldn’t), but you can actually have some real peace in your life. You are precious to Him. His love for you is inconceivable. You matter.

Jennifer

No comments: