Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving memories

My wife and I celebrated our first Thanksgiving as a married couple ten years ago. The tradition back then was everyone would gather at Jen's parents.

Upon waking up that morning at my in-law's home, I had some toast, bacon and eggs for breakfast. I then proceeded to the living room when I cracked open my first beer at about 9:30 a.m.

The following verbal exchange ensued:

Wife: Why are you drinking a beer at 9:30?
Me: It's Thanksgiving
Wife: But it's only 9:30
Me: But it's Thanksgiving

A couple of hours (and a few brewskis) later, the Detroit Lions were hosting the New England Patriots in the first NFL game of Thanksgiving Day. The Lions ended up throttling the Pats 34-9, dropping New England to 3-9 on the 2000 season. Coincidentally, Bill Belichick was in his first season as Patriots head coach. I recall pondering what the appeal was for Belichick. After all, his head coaching experience consisted of five pedestrian seasons with the Cleveland Browns. I figured that was all he'd bring to New England as well.

The Belchick-led Pats would go on to win three Super Bowls over the next four seasons.

Remember, I'm the guy who thought Walter Mondale would carry a second state.

Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving all.

-------------------------------------------------

No comments: