Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"The voice of God" is silenced.

A legendary broadcaster has passed on. The thing is you probably don’t recognize his name or face.

A report out of Los Angeles says that Minnesota native Don LaFontaine, known in Hollywood as the "King of Voice-overs," has died.

"Entertainment Tonight" is reporting that LaFontaine, who turned 68 last week, died Monday afternoon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

His agent, Vanessa Gilbert, told "ET" that he died following complications due to a collapsed lung.

At last count, he worked on nearly 5,000 films, including "The Elephant Man," "Batman Returns" and "The Terminator."

"In a world ..." became one of his best-known catch phrases.


Since I was about 8 or 9, I’ve always had this dream of being a broadcaster. Initially, it was just sports. But as I’ve grown older, my interests have broadened out into news talk radio, something I was fortunate enough to do three years ago. As I got to hear the work of LaFontaine, I surmised that a voice over career would be an absolute blast!! As such, I will never completely abandon that dream.

In the mean time, the internet will preserve the memory of the best voice over guy in the industry.




R.I.P., Don.

------------------------------------------

No comments: