Sunday, May 22, 2011

Wall to wall, people hypnotized......

“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."-
Matthew 24:36



Given the aforementioned passage of scripture, it appeared the organization We Can Know was quite hasty in its prediction that the rapture would take place on Saturday, May 21, 2011. Since that date has come and gone, God's Word was, not surprisingly, reaffirmed.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, I have to admit I flippantly dismissed WCK's claim of Saturday being the day of the return of the Lord. The fetching Mrs. Carlson even joined in the frivolity by acknowledging it being rather apropos that the date of her 40th birthday was being dubbed "the day the world ends."

On the flip side, I will readily admit that the talk of Jesus Christ coming to take His bride away caused me to think about that event more deeply. Specifically, am I really ready to move on to eternity? Have I done all I needed to ensure my name is in the Book of Life? And how many others know the Lord because of my testimonies? It's no accident that one of the guidelines which I try to live up to is that of the late Leonard Ravenhill, who inquired "Are the things you're living for worth Christ dying for?" Now I'm not suggesting that there is anything we as humans can do to "settle up" with God for sacrificing his son Jesus so that we may have eternal life. That is a debt we'll NEVER be able to repay. But through His grace, we can impact others in ways which our human flesh is not capable.

I would agree that We Can Know was ill-advised in their declaration that they indeed knew "the day and the hour." But I don't think it's far-fetched to say they unwittingly caused Christians (or perhaps even non-believers) to assess their own readiness for the actual event.

--------------------------------------------

No comments: