Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Obama finally weighs in on Imus.

Well, since everyone else is weighing in on the Don Imus flap, I guess I will, too.

As you’ve probably heard by now, radio “shock jock” Imus referred to the Rutgers University women’s basketball team as a bunch of “nappy-headed hos.”

For the record, this is NOT a “defend Imus” post. I found his comments incredibly crude and reprehensible. What’s worse is it seemed to have cheapened Rutgers’ magical run all the way to the NCAA women’s basketball championship game last week.

But there was one individual in particular who was conspicuous by his silence on this issue. After some criticism was levied toward Democrat presidential hopeful Barack Obama for not condemning Imus’ comments immediately, the Illinois senator finally spoke up today.


In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for the firing of talk radio host Don Imus. Obama said he would never again appear on Imus' show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

"I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus," Obama told ABC News, "but I would also say that there's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude."

"He didn't just cross the line," Obama said. "He fed into some of the worst stereotypes that my two young daughters are having to deal with today in America. The notions that as young African-American women — who I hope will be athletes — that that somehow makes them less beautiful or less important. It was a degrading comment. It's one that I'm not interested in supporting."


But I have a question, Senator Obama. What about writing rap lyrics referring to young African-American women as “Hos”? Worse yet, the title of the rap is “Ho”, a ditty which says all they’re good for is…well, I’ll spare the crude and disgusting details. Suffice to say, the images are not flattering.

Oh, and the author of those lyrics? None other then a guy who calls himself Ludacris. You remember him, don’t you? You met with him in your office just four months ago.


Did you happen to discuss “Ho” with him during your November meeting and the concern you have for such degrading rhetoric?

Somehow, I think not.

-----------------------------------

No comments: