Sunday, August 13, 2006

Another opportunity to witness.

I was attending a business function at the Minneapolis Convention Center last evening. Upon entering the building I went to the restroom to put on my neck tie and cuff links. Once there, I was greeted by a Convention Center custodian (his name was Alfred) who was cleaning one of the stalls. He said something to the effect of “Man, I need to find me a different job.” I chuckled and asked how the rest of his evening was treating him.

Talk about a loaded question.

He proceeded to tell me his tale of woe about his 3-year old daughter landing in the hospital recently. Thankfully, she was released within the last day or two but still needed to be on an anti-biotic. The problem was Alfred didn’t have the $20 for the prescription co-pay. He continued to tell me of his plight by saying he had no money and how he even tried to negotiate with the pharmacy to take partial payment until Friday. I could tell he was a prideful man who couldn’t bring himself to ask me for money. But he really started playing unfairly when he showed me a picture of his little girl. Yes, I think that was the final straw.

Usually when I am approached for money by less-than-clean-cut characters, I am somewhat hesitant. My concern is that they will not utilize the money for the reason they stated. However, I did not have the time to take Alfred to the pharmacy myself. I handed over the twenty bucks and said “God bless you, sir! Take care of that little girl.” It was at this moment that his knees buckled while he wiped away tears. He said “I don’t know what to say except thank you so much.”

To me, that was more than enough.

Luke 6:38 says “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I don’t believe in generosity merely to expect a blessing in return. For me, it goes far beyond that. It can also serve as an effective witnessing tool of God’s abundant blessings in our lives. I don’t feel it’s bragging to tell you that the Lord has blessed my wife and I “exceeding, abundantly” above what we could ever ask.

For that, all praise and honor goes to our Heavenly Father.

A fact I was proud to share with Alfred.

1 comment:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable in those situations, but I think you did the right thing.