Thursday, January 05, 2023

Wake me when there's a House Speaker

Is it wrong that I don't care which Republican is voted in as Speaker of the House?


As I write this, Congressman Kevin McCarthy will still fall short of the Speakership Thursday morning in what will be the seventh ballot cast. My understanding is it's been about 100 years since a Speaker vote went to even a second ballot, so this just underscores the division with the Republican party. Until a Speaker is named, the next Congress can't convene. As a conservative, I see that as a feature, not a bug. 


It's getting to the point where McCarthy wants this post so badly that he's willing to water down the power of the position just to have the title of Speaker. 


It's about a 15-minute monologue, but conservative commentator Erick Erickson has some inside knowledge as to what concessions McCarthy is willing to make. 





------------------------------------------

No comments: