Friday, January 06, 2023

Unusual alliance

As it stands now, my Minnesota Vikings will enter the postseason as the #3 seed in the NFC, win or lose on Sunday. The only way that changes is if the Vikes win their regular season finale in Chicago against the Bears and the San Francisco 49ers lose at home to the lousy Arizona Cardinals. But that is highly unlikely given the Cards will be starting their fourth different quarterback this season (David Blough) and will also be without the services of star WR DeAndre Hopkins. 


Obviously it would be advantageous for the Vikings to secure the #2 seed since that would assure them a second home playoff game if they prevail in round one. But let's just assume the Vikes stay at #3. They would then host the New York Giants in a rematch of their 27-24 victory over the G-Men on Christmas Eve. So if the Vikings defeat the Giants in round one, the only way they have a home game in round two would be if the #2 seed (assuming it's the San Francisco 49ers) loses at home to the #7 seed. While the final playoff team has yet to be determined, there is a solid chance that team will be..............the Green Bay Packers. 


In short, to ensure my favorite club has a second home game in the postseason, I may well have to pin my hopes on the Pack defeating the Niners opening weekend. Remember, I can count on one hand the number of times I've rooted for Green Bay in my 45 years of NFL fandom (and yes, that number is higher than zero).


Anybody got a foam block of cheese I can borrow?


---------------------------------------

No comments: