Thursday, August 03, 2017

Mystery solved? (UPDATED from original May post)

Upon Sergio Garcia winning his first major PGA title (The Masters on April 9), I hopped on Twitter to see if he had an account. Since Garcia had so many close calls in majors before (four 2nd place finishes and one 3rd place finish in his 18-years as a pro) as well as some high profile meltdowns in majors and non-majors, I wanted to congratulate him for finally exorcising his proverbial demons.

When I located his Twitter account, I was greeted with this:





I admit I was never much of a Garcia fan given that he always seemed a little too arrogant for someone who accomplished so little. But still, what could I have possibly said via Twitter to elicit such a reaction? 

While scrolling my TimeHop app recently, I came across some Tweets I composed after my favorite golfer, Tiger Woods, won the 2013 Players Championship. That particular tourney saw Garcia tied with Woods for the lead in the final round with two holes to play. However, in one of his more epic collapses, Garcia hit three balls in the water over the final two holes and ended up tied for eighth. 





Here is what I wrote in reaction to that final round of play:






So do ya think it's possible that's what prompted Garcia to block me? I can't believe those were the worst tweets to fill up his Twitter mentions that evening. Oh well, despite my being a big time Sergio detractor, I have no trouble giving him props for his impressive Masters win last month. 


UPDATE: The previous tweets apparently weren't the ones which prompted Sergio to block me. I know this because I was still able to follow Garcia's tweets in August 2014. I'll come back to that.

Going into the final round of the 2014 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational (which took place the first weekend of August 2014), Garcia led the tourney followed by Rory McIlroy, who trailed by three strokes. 


Sunday at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational must have felt a lot like deja vu for Sergio Garcia. Two weeks after he failed to run down a charging Rory McIlroy at the British Open, Garcia was once again unable to keep pace with McIlroy at Firestone. McIlroy began the round three shots off the lead, only to surge early and finish strong for a second straight win.

McIlroy wasted no time erasing the deficit he opened the round with. Playing in the final group with Garcia, McIlroy birdied the first three holes of the round. With Garcia recording a bogey on No. 3, McIlroy not only erased Garcia's lead, but pulled ahead of him in three holes. The two battled the rest of the way with McIlroy holding a one- or two-shot lead for much of the round. Like it was at the British Open, McIlroy's game was sharp tee-to-green. He did an excellent job of avoiding trouble and putting himself in position to make no worse than par. His only bogey of the round came on No. 8 and with Garcia unable to find a birdie on the back nine, McIlroy's lead proved to be enough.

The win adds another impressive line to McIlroy's growing list of career accomplishments. Although not a major championship, the Bridgestone Invitational was major-championship caliber with a field of 49 of the top 50 players in the world. That makes two straight events McIlroy has gone against the very best in the world and come out on top in impressive fashion. No one is playing better golf than McIlroy is right now. The win and an eighth-place finish from Adam Scott was enough for McIlroy to jump back to the No. 1 spot in the Official World Golf Rankings.

For Garcia, it's another event where he was very good, just not good enough to surpass the best player in the world. He nearly matched McIlroy shot-for-shot during the week, just like he did at the British Open. The result, however, is another second-place finish.

On that Saturday evening, Garcia tweeted out his sentiments about being paired with McIlroy on the final day.

My response made me look prescient, which is likely why Sergio blocked me:




As of today? Yep. Still blocked.


-----------------------------------------------------

No comments: