Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Superseded

My faith in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is by far the most important aspect of my life. Without Him, I am nothing. Without Him, I face a long suffering eternity with no hope of escape.

So when people ask me how I am holding up given my preferred political party could potentially endure a devastating defeat at the polls next month, I merely shrug. In the grand scheme of things, this world ain't my home. As such, I'm going to continue to ask God for anointing as I press on in my quest to be a better ambassador for His kingdom.

I guess what I'm saying is my faith...**ahem**...."trumps" my allegiance to politics. While I have never firmly committed to vote for GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump, I can now say definitively he has irretrievably lost my support. When I read the transcript of the vile comments he made in 2005 which basically had Trump describing the act of sexual assault, my decision was easy. I personally know a good number of women who have endured such unwanted physical advances. While many have been able to live productive lives despite such a horrific event, there are emotional scars which endure.

This is why I'm grateful a God fearing woman like Beth Moore has chosen to speak out regarding some members of the Church still supporting Trump.

“I’m one among many women sexually abused, misused, stared down, heckled, talked naughty to. Like we liked it. We didn’t. We’re tired of it,” Moore said. She also had a word about evangelical leaders still supporting Trump: “Try to absorb how acceptable the disesteem and objectifying of women has been when some Christian leaders don’t think it’s that big a deal.”

Moore’s broken silence about the 2016 race—rooted in her own experience with sexual assault—signals a widening gender divide between evangelicals. Increasingly, moderate and conservative Christian women are speaking out about Trump’s brand of misogyny and divisiveness, and condemning support for the nominee or silence about him from male evangelicals.

My hope is there is also a standard for protecting life. If elected, Hillary Clinton would be one of the most (if not the most) radically pro abortion presidents in history. As a church, we need to speak out against her just as fervently. I only bring this up because I've heard some Christian women object to Trump's candidacy (perfectly understandable even before this latest audio leak) but inexplicably flock to Mrs. Clinton merely because she's a woman. To me, that's just as short-sighted (if not more so) as Christian men blindly voting for Trump just because he's (allegedly) a Republican. And voting GOP is just what Evangelicals do, doggone it.

Protecting the life and well-being of all people at all stages is the proverbial hill worth dying upon, even if it means casting a vote outside the two major party candidates (I know. Perish the thought).

------------------------------------

No comments: