Monday, November 26, 2012

Heartbreak

This past weekend, NBA Hall of Famer (and University of Minnesota alum) Kevin McHale and wife Lynn suffered the worst nightmare a parent can imagine. Their daughter Sasha, who had been battling lupus, passed away on Saturday. She was just 23-years old.

I've actually gotten to know Lynn a little bit over the past couple of years, having seen her at a handful of social functions around the Twin Cities. Always beaming with a smile, it is positively heart-breaking to think of the anguish she, along with loving husband Kevin, must be feeling at this point. Two weeks ago I sent her a personal email when I heard Kevin was taking a leave from his job as coach of the NBA's Houston Rockets to tend to a "family matter." I expressed that I would pray for her family despite my not knowing the specifics surrounding the aforementioned family matter. She sent a short reply thanking me for the sentiments. It wasn't until Sasha's passing that it was publicly revealed she had been battling lupus.

While praying for peace and comfort for the McHale family Sunday, I felt on my heart to make a donation to the Lupus Foundation of Minnesota. I did so yesterday afternoon, dedicating my gift to the memory of Sasha McHale.

For more information on this disease, or if you too would like to make a donation, please visit the web site www.lupusmn.org

------------------------------------

No comments: