Friday, February 06, 2009

Feburary 6, 1999: Popping the question.

The day had come when I was going to propose to my gal! And believe me I definitely had that extra bounce in my step. While waiting for Jen to call and tell me she was home, I decided to clean my apartment to pass the time. Since I was about out of paper plates, I figured I would start by washing the dishes. I then scrubbed my kitchen floor and my bathroom floor, vacuumed the 25 sq. feet of carpet in my bedroom and sorted all my CDs and books alphabetically.

Finally about 3:00 p.m. the gal called to tell me she was home. She was planning on making a nice dinner for the two of us and then we would decide what to do from there.

I got to her place by about 3:30 and she instantly began telling me about her time with her Mom earlier in the day. Apparently Jen got this crazy idea to drag her mother to Oakdale and try on wedding dresses. Again, we had discussed marriage but nothing was official. Anyhow, she tells me that the first dress she tried on that afternoon was the dress. It looked great and fit her perfectly! I guess that was my cue. I said to her “Well, then there’s no sense in waiting any longer.” I proceeded to get down on one knee and ask her to marry me. Of course, she said yes!! I then told her to close her eyes. Once she did that I slipped the ring on her left ring finger. She then said “You did NOT just get me a ring.” She then opened her eyes half expecting to see a cigar band or some other funny memento. No, it was indeed the real thing. We then embraced as we exchanged tears of joy.

From there, we each got on a telephone in her house and proceeded to call all of our family and friends to tell them the good news. Of course, everybody was just ecstatic for us. However, they were also dismayed that we were waiting soooo long to get married. Indeed, 17 months felt like an eternity at that point. But the 8 ½ years of marriage has seemed like a whiff of time.

------------------------------------------

No comments: