Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Today's the day!!!

This election day marks the 20th anniversary of the first time I cast a vote. As a sophomore in college I couldn’t have cared less about politics. But I at least knew my state was the home of prominent Democrat politicians like former VPs Walter Mondale and Hubert Humphrey. And since my Dad and paternal Grandparents were such staunch liberal Democrats, I merely marked every DFLer on the ballot. Yes, I voted for Michael Dukakis for President in 1988. Scary!

I’m certainly not in the prediction game but it’s difficult for me to envision a scenario where Barack Obama is not elected the 44th President of the United States. The one glimmer of hope I have is that Obama’s comments regarding his policies bankrupting the coal industry may resonate with voters in key battleground states. Such rhetoric could solidify John McCain’s lead in Ohio and possibly turn Pennsylvania red. If indeed the McCain-Palin ticket can somehow win the Keystone state, they could endure losses in the states of Colorado, New Mexico, Iowa and Virginia (all of which went for President Bush in 2004) and still emerge victorious.

Truth be told, I would almost be able to stomach a McCain loss if Congresswoman Michele Bachmann and Senator Norm Coleman can win their respective re-election campaigns. Of course, a Coleman win significantly reduces the Democrats chances of obtaining a “super majority” in the US Senate. With the current Senate delegation of 49 Democrats, 49 Republicans and 2 Independents (both of whom caucus with the Democrats), it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that the Dems could attain the filibuster-proof of 60 members. If that were to take place, you would essentially have three people running this country: President Barack Obama, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate majority leader Harry Reid.

I know I will be up until the wee hours Wednesday morning to see how this all shakes out. And I will be praying fervently for my country that whole time.

-------------------------------------------------

No comments: