Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Election night recap.

I woke up Tuesday morning totally at peace. Granted I pretty well knew we would be electing Senator Barack Obama as President. But I wasn’t devastated at the prospects.

My biggest wish for Election Day was not even a Republican winning the Presidency. No, my largest desire was to have the Senate Republicans keep at least 41 seats. And as I write this, it looks to be all but assured that the GOP Senators will maintain the filibuster option (albeit barely), which is absolutely huge!! If the US Senate had reached 60 members caucusing with the Democrats, the Obama administration would have been able to ramrod through any legislation they desired. Such damaging legislation may well have included card check (that is preventing union members from being able to keep their votes confidential), The Fairness Doctrine, abortion on demand, etc. That’s not to say the Dems won’t try to implement those things, but at least there will be a last line of defense since they don’t have the super majority.

As it is, the Democrat majority may pass some pretty liberal fiscal policies, thus driving the country into a possible recession. Yeah, I know that sounds pretty bleak. But believe it or not there is a ray of hope in that. It opens the door for 2010 to be a repeat of the 1994 midterm elections when the GOP made historic gains in the US Congress after two years of complete Democrat control. Let me emphasize that I do not wish for America to suffer just so conservatives have a chance to take over Congress. But it seems inevitable that we’re headed for tough times given Obama’s seemingly dangerous notions of “redistributing wealth.”

One thing’s for sure. During the Obama presidency, the vast majority of us on the right will not act like a bunch of sniveling and petulant little children like the liberals have over the past eight years. As of mid-January, Barack Obama IS MY PRESIDENT! While I will speak out against him on a host of issues with which I disagree, I will respect the office of the President of the United States.

Congrats, President-elect Obama. Come January you will hold the most powerful office in the free world. As such, you will be in our prayers during the length of your administration.

Remember: Country First!!

-----------------------------------------------

No comments: