Sunday, December 31, 2006

Closing the book on 2006.

The following is a rather fitting way to wrap up the blogging year of 2006.

Actually, I got this “survey” from Katie who got it from Mitch who received it via Red.

1.Was 2006 a good year for you?
Yes, for a whole host of reasons which are too many to list.

2. What was your favorite moment(s) of the year?
Being able to help a stranger financially and witnessing his tearful appreciation when receiving the money.

Michele Bachmann winning a seat in the US House, shutting up the frothing-at-the-mouth leftist kooks!

3. What was your least favorite moment(s) of the year?
The Minnesota Twins going belly-up in the first round of the playoffs after a brilliant regular season.

4. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
I played a board game called “Settlers of Cataan.” I stuck my nose in the air at first but now I am hooked!

5. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any for 2006. I will make one for sure in 2007. I am going to drop 20 pounds and actually KEEP IT OFF!

6. Where were you when 2006 began?
My wife & I rang in 2006 at Trevor and Noel’s home in NE Minneapolis.

7. Who were you with?
My wife as well as Trevor, Noel, Josh, Lindsay, Greg, Todd and a friend of Lindsay’s whose name I don’t recall.

8. Where will you be when 2006 ends?
As of this blog post, I’m planning to be home.

9. Who will you be with when 2006 ends?
My wife and our three cats.

10. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Dawn gave birth to a girl, Isabelle Joy. Our friend Noel also welcomed a daughter, Annabeth Noel.

11. Did you lose anybody close to you in 2006?
Thankfully, no.

12. Who did you miss?
December 25, 2006 was the third Christmas without Grandma Johnson. I still miss her a lot since she was a part of almost every Christmas of mine from 1969 thru 2003.

13. Who was the best new person you met in 2006?
A young man by the name of Shadrach. I first met him at work and then discovered he attends the same church as my wife and I. He is originally from Liberia and he recently started a charitable organization which provides food to the orphanages in his native land.

14. What was your favorite month of 2006?
June. The Summer began and the Minnesota Twins had a terrific month of baseball.

15. Did you travel outside of the US in 2006?
No

16. How many different states did you travel to in 2006?
Let’s see: North Carolina, Virginia, Illinois, Wisconsin….is that it? Four, I guess.

17. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A significant leap in income.

18. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 25th. About eleven hours at the Minnesota State Fair with all of the food, politics, various exhibits, etc.

19. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I never once called in sick to work!

20. What was your biggest failure?
I let too many weekends pass by without being productive in important areas of my life.

21. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Praise the Lord, I did not!!

22. What was the best thing you bought?
Our above-the-range microwave!!

23. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My nephews, Nathan and Aaron. Despite some incredibly difficult domestic issues, they were still very good students in school and are all-around great kids!

24. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Sister-in law.

25. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and charitable organizations.

26. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The prospects of a new job. I got a call last week from this prospective new employer, with the first interview coming on Friday. I’ll keep you posted!

27. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2006?
By my standards, yes. I drank what amounted to be a case of beer. That’s a lot for someone like me who averages two cans of beer per year.

28. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2006?
Does Advil count?

29. Did you treat somebody badly in 2006?
I sure hope not.

30. Did somebody treat you badly in 2006?
My Dad.

31. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? Unfortunately, fatter.
iii. richer or poorer? Fortunately, richer!

32. What do you wish you'd done more of in 2006?
More trips to the Health Club.

33. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Less trips to the refrigerator.

34. Did you fall in love in 2006?
I fell in love with a certain gal back in 1998 and haven’t ever fallen out!

35. What was your favorite TV program(s)?
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

36. What song will always remind you of 2006?
“Our Country” by John Mellencamp

37. How many concerts did you see in 2006?
Zero.

38. Did you have a favorite concert in 2006?
N/A

39. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I won an I-pod at our company’s Holiday party. Now I run on the treadmill to the sound of my favorite 80s tunes.

40. What was the best book you read?
“Your Best Life Now” by Joel Osteen.

41. What was your favorite film of this year?
United 93”.

42. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
In the morning I woke up and blogged about Jason Lewis returning to MN. My co-workers then took me to Applebee’s for lunch. In the evening I had a nice dinner with my wife. I was 37 on May 24.

43. What did you want and get?
A nice, quiet evening with my gal!

44. What did you want and not get?
A Twins win. They were thumped by Cleveland, 11-0.

45. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hearing my Dad say “I’m Sorry.”

46. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Less beige, much to my wife’s delight!!

47. What kept you sane?
Prayer!

48. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Patricia Heaton: Small, cute and a strong conservative voice in the liberal bastion of Hollywood. Sounds a lot like my wife except change “Hollywood” to “the public school system.”

49. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
In the immortal words of Yoda, “Do or Do Not. There is no TRY!”

50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' 'Don't blame me'
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

No comments: