Wednesday, February 01, 2023

I think he means it this time

Exactly one year after announcing his retirement before changing his mind a month later, an NFL great makes it official.





I've been a Tom Brady fanboy since 2001, which was his first season as starting quarterback with the New England Patriots. I've always admired overcoming stories, so Brady's ascension from a 6th round draft pick in 2000 (and Drew Bledsoe's backup) to guiding the Pats to six Super Bowl titles in an 18-year span was special to watch. My Minnesota Vikings haven't been to the Super Bowl in 46 years, so seeing my favorite non-Viking have all that success almost approached the ecstasy I would feel if the Vikes ever get that elusive championship (at least I assume I know how it would feel). 


With Brady's big announcement comes the continuing debate of whether or not he's the greatest quarterback of all time, maybe even greatest player ever. Personally, I find debates like that a gigantic waste of time. After all, Brady will in five years join other legendary QBs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. If one's work is being honored in that coveted museum, does it really matter who's the G.O.A.T.?


But if I were to answer that question, I could make a solid argument as to why he is the greatest. I mean, who's the quarterback most often mentioned in the same breath as Brady? Why, that would be his boyhood idol Joe Montana, who won four Super Bowls in the 1980s with the San Francisco 49ers. While Montana wasn't a big stats guy (whereas Brady is the all-time leader in passing yards and touchdowns), he was flawless on the biggest stage of all with 11 TD and 0 INTs in those four Super Bowls. But what sets Brady apart is sustained success over literally two-plus decades, going to his first and tenth Super Bowls in a 20-season span. Also, the seven Super Bowl victories by an individual player will never be equaled. 


Montana himself had a long career, playing 15 seasons until retiring at age 38. Brady turned 38 just prior to the 2015 season, which means he played another eight years. And in those 8 years, Brady averaged per season 4,495 yards passing and 32 touchdown passes (Montana's never threw for more than 31 TDs in a season). Also in those eight seasons, Brady appeared in four Super Bowls, winning three. 


Basically, what Brady did in his post-age 38 NFL life would be a Hall of Fame career in and of itself. 


But what really puts his longevity in perspective for me is Brady was drafted three months before my wife and I got married. So before Wednesday, Tom Brady was an active NFL QB my entire married life. Just mind blowing. 


Enjoy retirement, TB12.


--------------------------------

No comments: