Wednesday, September 30, 2020

That time of year

I've been reminiscent lately over presidential election years past, specifically the 2004 campaign pitting President George W. Bush against Sen. John Kerry (D-MA). 

It was exactly four weeks before Election Day that a group of us gathered across the street from Xcel Energy Center in downtown St. Paul to serve as a "counter protest" to the Vote For Change concert. If you recall, a group of musicians featuring R.E.M., Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young put on concerts all over the U.S. to raise money in an effort to defeat President Bush. At the time I was chair of the MN chapter of Protest Warrior, a group started by Bay Area conservatives which mocked the anti-war protesters who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq. 

Here's a video from our gathering in 2004. 




I also made an appearance on WCCO TV's 10 pm news. 




Once the concert started and its attendees were inside the Xcel Energy Center, our group adjourned to Patrick McGovern's pub down the street where we indulged in some adult beverages as well as Game 1 of the American League Division Series featuring our Minnesota Twins taking on the New York Yankees. Twins starter Johan Santana pitched a gem in a 2-0 win for the local nine. You could say this was a perfect night for me in that I trolled leftists and saw my favorite MLB team win a postseason game. 

I think you know where I'm going with this. Over the next 16 years, my favorite MLB squad would win nary a playoff game in eighteen attempts. To think their last postseason win occurred a mere 28 days before George W. Bush was reelected President. When I put in that perspective, I am just flummoxed at the Twins' postseason ineptitude. 

----------------------------------------------

No comments: