Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Quick Hits: Volume CCXI

- If there was ever any doubt that the Minnesota Democrat party chooses to identify more with the Metro DFL as opposed to outstate Dems, look no further than this past weekend. Long time Senate DFL caucus leader Tom Bakk (D-Cook) was ousted in favor of Woodbury's Susan Kent.

Given that the MN legislative session is slated to begin next week, you can probably guess what the catalyst was for this leadership change.

Under Kent’s leadership, there could be more of a public push from Senate Democrats on gun control and safety measures. Sen. Jeff Hayden, DFL-Minneapolis, said that’s been a tension between metro and rural members in the past.

“The way that plays in Greater Minnesota is different from the direction that some in the metro want to take,” Hayden said.

Q.E.D.


- I hate to come off as though I'm partaking in schadenfreude after the Dem debacle in the Iowa caucuses Monday night........BAH, who am I kidding?!?!?! I absolutely participated in the gloat-fest among right-of-center politicos. And I have no shame in saying so.

But as Jim Geraghty of National Review notes, the Dems' own hubris bit them in the tuchus.

The party that constantly reminds us how they are the party of science, the party of education and educators, the party that is forward-looking and embraces the power of technology... cannot do math when it counts.

This was one of many cringe inducing moments throughout Monday evening.





Ah, but we can't completely rain on the Dems' parade, so let's point out one silver lining here. The technology debacle distracted the public from the embarrassingly low voter turnout.


- As you can probably imagine, I was crestfallen over the news of conservative radio titan Rush Limbaugh being diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer.

As I've written in this space before, Rush was the reason for my identifying as a political righty nearly 30 years ago. And while I had the dream of being a talk radio host since my early 20s, it was Rush who inspired me to broaden my horizons from the sports genre to politics. Yes. it is literally due to him that I have been hosting a weekly conservative political talk show for the past 8-1/2 years.

On Tuesday during the State of the Union address, Rush was acknowledged by President Trump and then awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.





Keep fightin' the good fight, Rush.

---------------------------------------------------

No comments: