Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Quick Hits: Volume CLXXII

- I don't know that I have a lot to add to the 35+ year old rape allegations levied against U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, who was age 17 at the time. But I do find it interesting (and by "interesting" I mean "utterly predictable") that many leftists have suddenly pivoted back to "all female accusations of sexual assault/harassment deserved to be believed" after abandoning such a principle concerning accusations against Keith Ellison (oh hai, Sen. Tina Smith).

But perhaps the most egregious aspect of this saga is how Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) sat on this allegation for weeks. If this allegation is as serious as leftists claim it to be, then to go through that entire dog and pony show of confirmation hearings without broaching the subject is downright malicious.

It's so despicable that even that conservative rag known as the San Francisco Chronicle is taking Feinstein to task over it.


- I'm convinced that one's occasions to utilize internet memes when engaging in political discussions are in inverse proportion to the substantive knowledge one possesses regarding the subject matters in question.

I realize I'm not conveying any original insights here. I've just noticed that such vapidity is more prolific today than ever.


- It's been pretty well established that the majority of the country's college professors are leftists. That in and of itself is not a bad thing, provided they don't allow their bias to dictate how they evaluate students. But when anti-Semitism starts to rear its ugly head, that's another matter.

A University of Michigan professor refused to send a letter of recommendation for a student who wished to study in Israel, according to an email obtained by The Times of Israel on Monday.

John Cheney-Lippold, an associate professor in the university’s Department of American Culture, had previously offered to write an undergraduate’s reference letter for a semester abroad program in Israel.

But he notified the student, named Abigail, that he missed a critical piece of information in her request that made him change his mind.

“I am very sorry, but I only scanned your first email a couple weeks ago and missed out on a key detail,” he wrote. “As you may know, many university departments have pledged an academic boycott against Israel in support of Palestinians living in Palestine. This boycott includes writing letters of recommendation for students planning to study there.

“I should have let you know earlier, and for that I apologize,” he went on. “But for reasons of these politics, I must rescind my offer to write your letter.”

I fail to see how the professor's personal boycott of Israel should impact a student who willingly wants to study there. This overall elitist attitude of knowing what's better for others is exactly how you get a President Donald Trump.

---------------------------------------------------

No comments: