Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Unexpected blessing

So I got a call from the Operations Manager at the radio station where I broadcast on Sundays. He asked if I would be interested in taking a 15 minute flight on a fully restored B-17 bomber which was flown in World War II. Our station, AM 1280 The Patriot, had been doing some work to promote the B-17 Aluminum Overcast Tour. One of the perks extended us was a ride aboard the aircraft. What was I gonna say? No?

So Tuesday morning I headed to the Blaine airport to partake in this incredible experience.




One thing which struck me was how difficult it was for someone my size (6'2", two hundred and none-of-your-dang-business pounds) to maneuver inside the aircraft given that it was built for soldiers no taller than 5'6" and weighing no more than 150.
A videoposted by Brad Carlson (@bradley0569) on


To cap off this thrilling experience, I was honored to chat with a WWII vet by the name of Harold.


Harold was aboard a B-17 in 35 separate missions in 1944. Whenever I am in the presence of a member of our greatest generation, I often feel myself becoming a tad misty eyed. Of the WWII veterans still with us, the vast majority are in their 90s. As such, nearly all of them will be gone within a decade, a fact which wasn't lost on the folks taking the tour. As Harold was helped onto the tarmac after the flight, there were a good number of tourists wanting to take his picture. The attention and fanfare he garnered rivaled anything you'd see on a red carpet.

Kinda made my day upon experiencing some of our great country's history.

----------------------------------------------------

No comments: