Monday, October 08, 2007

It truly is a small world.

My brother Eric & I were big fans of the late comedian Mitch Hedberg. Initially we were intrigued by the fact that we went to the same high school at the same time with someone who would eventually make it big in the entertainment industry. After a while we began to enjoy Mitch’s humor based solely on his talent. Obviously we were quite shocked to learn of his death in early 2005. Mitch was only 37 years old.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. My wife and I were checking out a home for sale in Woodbury. As we entered this home, we were greeted by an employee of the home developer. We chatted with this gal for a few minutes when she asked a few questions about us. She was surprised that we came all the way from Coon Rapids to check out this home. I told her I grew up in the area, near the 3M complex in Saint Paul to be exact. She then asked where I went to high school. Harding High, I said. “Oh!! Me too!” she replied. Now I have a gift for recognizing people whom I never met but would have seen on a regular basis (i.e. co-workers, fellow high school alumni, etc.). So when she introduced herself as just “Wendy”, I knew!! “Mitch’s sister?” I asked. Indeed she was. And she was absolutely blown away that I knew who she was given

a) We never met before
b) She graduated high school two years before me.

Anyhow, I went on to tell her that my brother and I were big fans of Mitch. I also expressed my sincere condolences for the loss of her brother. Given her expression, I could tell it was still a very painful memory. Nonetheless, she seemed appreciative of the fact that someone still has fond memories of her brother.

I can honestly say that I cherish my innate ability to remember names and faces. Given how small this world seems at times, it’s a gift I will never take for granted!

----------------------------------------------

No comments: