Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Rushing to judgment.

Conservative icon Rush Limbaugh has often said that liberals are incredibly entertaining when their people are not in power. Their rhetoric consists of nothing but assigning blame and portraying the USA as a country on the edge of an abyss, especially with George W. Bush in power.

A caller to Rush’s program today pretty much ran the gamut of that liberal lunacy.

Here is the transcript of a call from a guy named Joe:

RUSH: Joe in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, welcome to the program. Nice to have us with us, sir.

CALLER: Yes, Rush, I have to disagree with your take on Rock the Vote. I think it takes a lot of nerve to accuse Democrats and liberals of voter fraud after what happened in the year 2000.
(Yeah, that was a sham. The media calling Florida for Gore before many voters in the panhandle of the state (Central time zone; predominantly Bush supporters) went out to cast their ballot.)


RUSH: Doesn't take any nerve at all. We deal with the truth and facts here.

CALLER: I don't think so. We've got a president who has authorized torture and wiretapping, tools that can be used against guys like you when Democrats get back in power.
(Well, we know Democrats wouldn’t use it against Al-Qaeda. They don’t think there’s any real terrorist threat.)


RUSH: I love you guys.

CALLER: No, you don't.

RUSH: Yes, I do. You are the best friend people like I have.

CALLER: No. You really are misguided if you think I'm your friend.

RUSH: Well, not intentionally. You don't want to be my friend. As long as you want to stay stuck --

CALLER: I don't want to be your friend.

RUSH: Wait a minute, now. If you want to stay stuck in the notion that you got cheated out of the election in 2000, and if you then want to jump forward from that and say Bush is spying on you, then I'm going to get out of the way and let you deliver the rest of your monolog because I want the whole country to hear where you Democrats are, so go ahead, Joe, and let me have it.


CALLER: Good, Rush. When people who are your enemies come to power, they can use the tools that Bush now has. Guys like you, drug addicts like you, better watch your butt.
(Translation: I’ve got no intellectual response so I’ll just get personal.)


RUSH: Hey, Joe? Don't stop there. Don't stop there, Joe. You're doing a fine job of portraying yourself. Your buddies have already tried stuff like that with me, Joe, when they're not even in power. Did he hang up?

CALLER: No, I didn't hang up.

RUSH: Well, why are you so quiet? You've got a forum, Joe. I want you to keep going. Keep it coming. I want to find out every poisonous thought that's circulating through your body.

CALLER: No, Rush, you'd lose your license if you heard them. I'm trying to be fair and balanced and listen to you, Rush.

RUSH: Well, this is the third time. You can't tell me what you think. Not about me. Tell me what you think about President Bush, or what you think about the country or something. But just tell me what you think politically, and if you can't do it without being profane, you've got a problem.


CALLER: No, Rush, you have a problem. It's about time someone in the country stood up for the rich and powerful, and you're just the guy to do it.
(Oh, you mean the guys who provide you with your job? Your boss must be especially generous if you got time to sit on hold and call a radio show.)


RUSH: Well, that really hurt. Glad you at least know the truth about it. I'm proud to do it, Joe.

CALLER: I bet you are.

RUSH: You know what, Joe, the truth is I wish you could join the rich and powerful and find out what it's like.

CALLER: Rush, you're George Leroy Tirebiter. You never lie and you're always right.
(Huh?)


RUSH: Well, thanks, but, you're blowing a great opportunity here. There are millions of people waiting to be persuaded by your political thoughts and your analysis and all you want to do is insult me.

CALLER: That's not all I want to do, Rush, but that's all I've got time for. I'm a busy man and you're wasting my time.
(BUSY???!!! For crying out loud, you’re the one that called Rush’s show! Typical lib, not wanting to take responsibility for his actions.)


RUSH: (Laughing.) Did we call him? (Laughing.) Joe, you still there? He hung up! He hung up. (Sigh) Oh, me oh my. Never let it be said that I am unfair. Never let it be said that I don't give these people a chance. He was a lib; we put him at the front of the line. I gave him the opportunity to proselytize and to evangelize his point of view on anything. That's all he had and then he has to tell me I'm wasting his time.

In the movie “The American President”, Michael Douglas played a Democrat President who was portrayed as idealistic, thoughtful and sensitive. His opponent was a Republican senator who was deemed an overbearing character assassin.

The line in the move that struck me was in the President’s speech near the end of the movie. About his opponent, Douglas’ character stated: “He’s only interested in two things: Making you afraid of it, and telling you who’s to blame for it.”

Our real-life President today could make that very statement about the party ("koff, koff" Democrats "koff") that continually obstructs and opposes him.

No comments: