Monday, December 26, 2005

Give thanks in all circumstances

As an NFL fan, I have paid special attention to the recent tragedy experienced by Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy. His 18-year old son, James, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment Thursday.

As a Christian, I have focused even more attention on the aftermath of Dungy's loss.

Dungy is respected for his coaching abilities. He is admired for his strong faith in his Lord.

I have known people who have had to deal with the unbearable pain of burying a child. The general consensus is that it is the most confusing time in a parents' life. They bring a child into this world. The natural inclination is that the child will still be here when the parents leave this world. When such confounding tragedies occur, there is often times a similar reaction emitted by believers, non-believers and agnostics alike:

IF THERE REALLY IS A GOD, HOW CAN HE LET THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN?

If I were asked a question like that and an answer was demanded instantly, I don't know that I could offer a simple explanation. I can say there is a passage of scripture in the Bible which I fall on. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

There's a tremendous disparity between being thankful for all things and being thankful in all things.

Tony and Lauren Dungy certainly aren't thankful for their son's death. But in the tragedy of losing a child they can demonstrate the peace and serenity that come with serving our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. From those who know Tony Dungy, there has never been any question of the order of his priorities: faith, family and football.

From all I have been able to gather, the Dungy family will be seen through these circumstances, thanks to their faith. For that, they should be proud. I am confident that in these circumstances the Dungys have impacted many lives because they have truly been a shining light in this dark time.


Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.
1 John 2:8

No comments: