Saturday, March 24, 2012

Way more questions than answers

Admittedly, I haven't been following the entire fallout from the shooting death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin. What I find inexplicable is that the confirmed shooter, George Zimmerman, appeared to have not even been brought in to police custody or even investigated thoroughly. Zimmerman claimed he acted in self-defense and the wounds he suffered on his face and head at least indicated an altercation with Martin. From there, it didn't appear the Sanford, FL police did a lot of follow-up, rather they were satisfied with Zimmerman's explanation. Case closed, I guess.

Naturally, there are those who look to assign racial prejudice as the reason a) Zimmerman shot Martin and b) why the police aren't being more aggressive in the investigation. I'm not willing to jump to that conclusion for the simple reason being that I'm not clairvoyant. But does this have the appearance of shoddy police work, bordering on ineptitude? That's how I'm seeing it.

My only concern at this point is that Martin's heartbroken parents are given the explanation they want (and frankly deserve) for why they're enduring a parent's worst nightmare, which is burying one of their offspring.

-------------------------------------------

No comments: