Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The sun is setting.

There was almost an air of inevitability when we got the news. After last week’s lengthy surgery to remove my father-in law’s cancer-riddled prostate and bladder, we learned today the results of his CT scan. The disease had already spread to his lymph nodes and appears to be inoperable.

After almost seven years of battling several types of cancer, our beloved father has chosen to commence treatment which will merely make his final days comfortable. At 77-years old, he realizes he is in the twilight of his life here on Earth.

I guess it goes without saying that we will cherish every moment we have with Howard over the next 12 to 24 months. Truth be told, it won’t be any different than the previous years we’ve been blessed with his presence.

------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cherish that time, Brad and Jen. I was there this spring with my father.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend setting up a page for him at http://www.caringbridge.org/

It's a great way to communicate with family and friends.

Blessings and prayers to your father-in-law and your family. Call me any time.

R. Stewart said...

Sorry to hear this Brad. I hope and pray for the best for the family and your father.

Ron

Leo Pusateri said...

Brad and Jen...so sorry to hear about this!

My father has been battling prostate cancer now for 11 years... I know that his time on this earth is not unlimited.

I will pray for you, Jen, and Howard... May the Lord Jesus cradle you in His loving arms, and give you comfort during this trying time.