Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Miss USA 2018

For the first time ever, the newly crowned Miss USA hails from the Cornhusker state. Congratulations Miss USA 2018, Sarah Rose Summers!

I've mentioned here before that my interest in pageants has been heightened over the past few years due to my being emcee of the Miss Minnesota Scholarship Pageant, which is part of the Miss America Organization.

My wife and I were paying extra special attention to this year's Miss USA contest due to the fact we actually met two of the contestants a little less than two years ago.


Kelley Johnson (far left; Miss CA USA) and Kalie Wright (far right; Miss MN USA)

 
Given that I'm a homer, Miss MN was my rooting interest. However, she didn't make the Top 15, but Miss CA did! In fact, Kelley got all the way to the Top 10 before being eliminated. 
 
One of the big issues to crop up this past year is the #MeToo movement, which served to help women come forth with their own stories of being sexually assaulted and/or harassed in an effort to heal their emotional wounds. Naturally this was a subject broached with this year's contestants. In fact, a quote from Kalie herself was featured on Twitter. 
 
 


Juxtapose that with a tweet that was posted less than two hours earlier by Miss MN's junior U.S. senator. 




Ummmm......AWKWARD!!!!


------------------------------------------------

No comments: