Tuesday, January 26, 2016

If I accomplish nothing else this year.....

.....I can lay claim to getting a social media "hashtag" trending at a big time social event.

This past Christmas Eve, my friend (and reigning Miss Minnesota) Rachel Latuff became engaged to her longtime boyfriend Brad Betterley (the wedding will take place in August).

While posting on Facebook some photos of Brad being fitted for a tuxedo last weekend, Rachel threw out a few hashtag phrases to accompany said posts. In my own comment on that thread, I casually came up with a phrase of my own, to which Rachel replied "best hashtag ever! Stealing!!" I basically told Rachel it was all hers.

Within the next few minutes, the following post popped up in my Facebook timeline:




The fact I'm a social media geek combined with getting a shout out from Miss MN herself had me all like:



This social media stuff at weddings is dramatically different from back in 2000 when my wife and I placed those disposable cameras on each table at our wedding reception. The hope was our guests would be inspired to take candid photos. Yeah, that didn't go so well.

-------------------------------------------

No comments: