Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quick Hits: Volume XLIX (Vapid Celebs edition)

-Actress Sophia Bush (no relation to you-know-who) is disaffected by the job performance of President Obama. But worse than that, she vows to join the ranks of Alec Baldwin, Robert Redford and Susan Sarandon by exiting the U.S. if a scurrilous Republican is elected President.

Said the actress, “I'm afraid for our country that people like this [current Republican candidates] could even be thought of as the president. I live in a country where I believe all men are created equal, not just wealthy white guys. I believe all men, all women, regardless of race, gender, socioeconomic background, you deserve the same rights. If that's not where our country is going, then I'll leave. I don't need to live here. I'm out! I'll go to Canada, peace! See you later."


It's never a wise thing for a celebrity to make political statements because it's likely in many cases that fans of their movies/TV shows/music are of diverse political affiliations. Thus there's a risk of alienating a significant number of said devotees.

Yes, that kind of politically charged rhetoric is almost certain to have an adverse impact on DVD sales of such juggernauts as Chalet Girl and Table for Three.


-NFL reporters such as ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Adam Schefter and John Clayton along with NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora and Steve Wyche are some of the best in the business when it comes to breaking the latest news in pro football.

But can we now add actor Rob Lowe to that list? Lowe tweeted the following Wednesday afternoon:

Hearing my fave, #18 Peyton Manning will not return to #NFL. Wow.


When asked by Mortensen to respond to Lowe's tweet, Manning's father Archie laughed at the report and subsequently dismissed it.

I too am very skeptical of Lowe's "report", so much so that I will sit through the entire two hours of the Lowe movie Square Dance if I'm wrong.


-On September 11, 2001, actor Mark Wahlberg was scheduled to fly from Boston to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11. However, at the last minute, he decided to rearrange his schedule to attend a film festival in Toronto. As it turned out, Flight 11 was the first of two commercial airliners to crash into the World Trade Center in New York.

In the 10+ years since he cheated death, Wahlberg hasn't spoken much about that fateful day until recently in an interview he gave in the latest issue of Men's Journal.

“If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn’t have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, ‘OK, we’re going to land somewhere safely, don’t worry.’”


After significant backlash over those comments, Wahlberg issued an apology.

"To speculate about such a situation is ridiculous to begin with, and to suggest I would have done anything differently than the passengers on that plane was irresponsible. I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention," Wahlberg said in a statement.


Someone made the comment that Wahlberg taking out a few terrorists wouldn't be all that implausible due to the fact he wiped out an entire movie theater that was playing his latest film Contraband.

-------------------------------------------

1 comment:

StarBittrune said...

Baldwin is spineless - he never left, nor will any actor who threatens to do so over politics. Anything spoken by an actor is a line from a script, except for conservative actors who manage to say things not parroted from the prevailing liberal buzz of the entertainment industry.