Friday, August 29, 2008

Box score of the week.

UPDATE: Mark "Mr D." Heuring got it!! The box score I featured this week was from a game back in June 1987 between the Cleveland Indians and California Angels. The starting pitchers that game, Phil Niekro and Don Sutton, set the record for combined age in a pitching matchup (90 years, 135 days)

I owe Mark one liquid refreshment at Keegan's.




----------------------------------------


OK all you self-proclaimed baseball fans. Can anyone tell me the historical significance of this box score?

-----------------------------------------

3 comments:

Mr. D said...

It's about the pitchers, most likely. I'll go with the oldest combined age of starting pitchers in any game; Niekro was almost 50 by then. Either that or it was his last win, because he was very near the end at that point, as was Sutton.

Brad Carlson said...

Well done, Mark!!

Sutton and Niekro were a combined 90 years and 135 days, making it the oldest matchup in baseball history.

A couple weeks ago, Greg Maddux and Jamie Moyer faced each other. Their combined age was just over 88 years.

Anyhow, let me know if you ever plan to go to Keegan's sometime soon. One liquid refreshment is on me!!

Mr. D said...

Thanks, Brad! I will make a point to get over there for trivia one of these days. Have been meaning to for a long time and now I have an even better reason.

Best,
Mark