Thursday, June 30, 2005

Which came first?

We all remember that perpetual mystery bandied about:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Hmm. I don't know. That's s good question! I mean, a chicken comes from an egg. Yet an egg is produced by a chicken.

Well if you know the truth, it's not really a mystery at all. God created a chicken, and then the chicken produced the egg.

Simple enough.

Another query: Are you happy because you are in love or are you in love because you're happy?

My wife Jennifer and I recently crossed paths with a young lady from our past. I have known this woman, who is my age, for 20 years. She is still unmarried. I know for a fact she has a burning desire to be wed but has yet to find that special someone. Anyhow, when Jen and I first became engaged to be married in February of 1999, we happened to be sitting at the same table in a restaurant with this certain young lady. When a male friend of hers asked me "How are ya, Brad?", I replied, as always, "I'm great!!". Upon hearing this, the young lady almost exasperatingly stated "Of course he's doing great. He's getting married soon."

So the insinuation seemed to be that the key to true happiness is finding that love of your life. While I concur that my wife has added much to my life, I reject the notion that one is doomed to a life of unhappiness until the arrival of a betrothed.

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and ALL these things will be given to you as well" -Matthew 6:33

Because I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior, He was made Lord of my life. I sought His righteousness. I had peace that I would meet my maker in Heaven someday because I accepted Salvation.

"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall." - Psalms 55:22

Wouldn't this also make one happy? Knowing that any trials and tribulations you suffer can all be cast away? You don't have to bear your burdens alone. That itself makes me ecstatic!

The ultimate sacrifice the Lord made was giving His only Son so we could spend eternity in Heaven. That's a debt we can never repay. How can one not pledge eternal love to someone who makes such a sacrifice for our well being?

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:28

"He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord." -Proverbs 18:22

I love God, who is the heart of my contentment! As a result, I was blessed with Jennifer (a/k/a my "good thing!").

In short, I'm was (and still am) in love because I'm happy!




No comments: