Newsom agreed when CNN's Jake Tapper suggested: "There needs to be like a 9/11 Commission on COVID -- what we did right, what we did wrong."
"Everyone's a genius in hindsight. Coulda-woulda," Newsom said. "I was running around doing price-gauging legislation against Purell -- everyone was thinking it was a Purell-based crisis."
And who could forget that while the Golden State was locked down while also under a draconian mask mandate, Newsome could be seen dining at the swanky restaurant French Laundry.....while maskless?
"(J)ust a bone-headed decision."
"I was just dialing it in. We were exhausted, friend's birthday. It was a restaurant that was open the night before, open the night after. But it was against the spirit of the rules I was promoting, and I went. I had a mask on when I went in, when I went out -- but not while I was eating."
"I was up there promoting mask on in between bites," he laughed. "Which in itself is curious."
"It was a completely legit condemnation," Newsom said. "I got a recall, and I almost lost -- talk about humility."
"My politics changed after that."
Did they really? Because I remember a mere 4-1/2 months after surviving his September 2021 recall election, Newsom was seen at the Super Bowl in Inglewood's SoFi Stadium *not* wearing a mask. Meanwhile, elementary age kids were still mandated to don face coverings while outdoors.
“THATS MY HUSBAND” 💍 pic.twitter.com/BPvOxNlGEq
— Taylor Swift Updates (@TSUpdating) September 21, 2026
When arguably the most famous person on planet Earth does anything in full view of millions of TV viewers, it's going to garner massive attention.
In our politically and socially polarized world, every action by a celebrity tends to be scrutinized to death. But I would hope we'd be able to agree here that this is a tremendous example of a successful partnership, where each member of the couple passionately supports the other in their chosen endeavor.
There is some debate over whether or not TSwift is a proper role model for young ladies. While I couldn't possibly care less about that back and forth, I can't deny that Tay's excitement over her husband's success is something every man should long for from this bride. And it should be reciprocated.
- With an approval rating hovering in the 30s and his political party facing the prospects of a midterm election that could rival the 2006 "thumping," President Donald Trump is seemingly radioactive among many GOP Congressional candidates.
Jim Geraghty at National Review compiled a list.
- Florida Republican gubernatorial candidate Byron Donalds scrubbed references to Trump from his campaign website.
- Donalds is following in the footsteps of GOP Representative Young Kim, who often faces tough reelection bids in her R+1 southern California district.
- Michigan GOP Senate candidate Mike Rogers is running an ad that begins, “The war in Iran needs to end, to bring costs down.”
- Iowa GOP representatives Zach Nunn and Mariannette Miller-Meeks joined in a vote to limit Trump’s war powers last week. Both lawmakers represent competitive districts, and this marked the first time either one had voted to rein in Trump’s Iran war powers. Nunn wrote on X, “With the negotiating window closed, sustained combat operations now require congressional authorization. Having deployed multiple times and flown over 700 combat hours in the Middle East, I will not support another open-ended war.”
- Ashley Hinson, a GOP representative who’s running for governor in Iowa, wrote on X Monday, “Iowans are being squeezed and shouldn’t have to foot the bill at the pump or the checkout line for the war in Iran.”
- Wisconsin GOP candidate for governor, Representative Tom Tiffany, on rising gas prices and Iran: “I just believe we should be exiting Iran, it’s time to move on. We’ve degraded their nuclear facilities, we’ve degraded their military, most of their ships are at the bottom of the ocean. Time to come home, take care of business here in America.”
- In a meeting with voters, Colorado GOP Representative Jeff Hurd “talked about where he disagrees with the Trump administration. Hurd said he opposes Trump’s sweeping tariffs against Canada and a Republican push to sell public lands. He voted to extend healthcare subsidies.”
I've always maintained the GOP would lose the House given they only have a razor-thin majority to begin with, but hang on to the Senate. However, with such reliable Republican seats like Texas, Kansas, South Carolina and Iowa suddenly in play this cycle, even that is far from a sure thing.
On a somewhat related note: if either SCOTUS justice Sam Alito or Clarence Thomas are considering retirement, they may well have their letters in the "Drafts" folder right about now.
------------------------------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment