Wednesday, January 31, 2024

I really didn't wanna talk about this.....

Despite Taylor Swift's name being arguably the most recognizable on planet Earth, I've cited her exactly twice in the nearly 4,500 posts on this blog. I'm obviously not the target audience of her music, though I willingly admit there are a handful of her tunes which I enjoy. 


Given I talk a fair amount of politics on this site (and even more so on my radio show), I opined on Taylor weighing in on political/social issues about 5+ years ago. While I disagreed with her worldview, I 100% supported her right to express her thoughts. I mean, I've never understood why some get the vapors over celebs spouting their opinions. If anything, be angry with prog media who choose to amplify such viewpoints as if they're more informed or valuable than the perspective of, say, your neighbor or co-worker. 


I'm also a sports junkie, so Taylor's emergence as an NFL super fan (specifically of boyfriend Travis Kelce's team the Kansas City Chiefs) is something I've definitely noticed. And while I believe they're adorable together, I find myself passionately indifferent over Taylor's presence at games as well as the details of the couple's dating life. But, again, there's a certain element who borderline rage over TV cameras panning to Taylor's suite whenever her boyfriend has a positive play. I could perhaps understand slight annoyance if this were done while a crucial play was occurring, but that has never been the case.


In fact, here's an informal breakdown of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game featuring the Chiefs and the Baltimore Ravens: 





Imagine being so triggered over less than a minute of Taylor Swift being on your TV screen that it got in the way of enjoying an epic battle among AFC titans. 


While expressing anger over Taylor being referenced during an NFL game is little more than impotent rage, attempting to dunk on her and her boyfriend in an effort to score political points for Donald Trump is moronic, unproductive and, frankly, embarrassing. 





Uh.....has Benny ever emerged from his basement studio?!?!? The idea that Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's fame is merely a recent development is stunningly ignorant. While Taylor was arguably the most famous pop star on the planet even a decade ago, Kelce has been an integral part of two Super Bowl championship teams. He's also been a four-time NFL All-Pro his first ten years in the league and has co-hosted with his brother Jason the popular podcast New Heights. No doubt Travis's notoriety has been enhanced by dating an icon, but he was already considered a shoo-in to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame even before he met Taylor. All this to say that Benny's diatribe will do absolutely nothing to draw in undecided voters for Trump, something which he sorely needs. 


While Taylor Swift endorsing Joe Biden (something she has even yet to do, but may at some point) would only marginally enhance the President's reelection efforts, "conservatives" dinging Taylor's fans (aka "Swifties") is a political loser. But maybe that's the point. After all, the con grift put forth by the likes of Trumpkins Benny Johnson, Charlie Kirk, Jack Posobiec, et al is most lucrative when their guy is in peril. 


------------------------------------------------

No comments: