Wednesday, January 17, 2024

25 years ago today.......

If you're a fan of the Minnesota Vikings, you likely know exactly when this photo was taken: 



                                     Courtesy of Minneapolis Star Tribune


This was the demeanor of some fans upon conclusion of the 1998 NFC Championship game in which my 15-1 Vikings club lost 30-27 in overtime to the Atlanta Falcons. Many of my fellow Vikes fans agree with that this was the most gut-wrenching, heartbreaking, kick-in-the-groin loss in franchise history.


It is no exaggeration when I tell you that I checked out from sports talk radio, local news, ESPN, etc. for the next several months due to my not wanting to relive even one millisecond of that contest. In fact, if I so much as see a still photo from the on-field action I feel nauseous. 


That game also altered how I watch the Vikings. I rarely watch them live anymore given I get overcome with this sickening feeling that disaster is looming on almost every play. I guess it's fortuitous that I work Sundays during the NFL season since the Noon games are occurring while I'm either preparing for my radio show or am actually on air. As a result, I have been a benevolent dictator with every producer I've ever had in that they are banned from having the Vikings game on the big TV just outside the studio. I also warn against any spoilers. 


Look, I get it. It's just a game. How can I possibly get so worked up over a result that in the grand scheme of things has little to no meaningful impact on life? I guess if I knew the answer to that question, I'd be able to indulge in a Vikings game without my heart rate becoming severely altered. As such, it doesn't make much sense to partake in something that could adversely affect one's mental and physical health. I guess that's why when I do watch my favorite NFL squad live, I do so in the company of other fans since it actually helps me rein in my maniacal reactions.


In the end, I remain optimistic that my Vikings club will one day return to the Super Bowl and even break through with their first ever championship. I just hope I'm alive to see it. 


--------------------------------------------------

No comments: