Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Buck yeah

I first became aware of the National Basketball Association in the early 1980s when Earvin "Magic" Johnson and Larry Bird injected life into a moribund league. For whatever reason, I became obsessed with Magic's L.A. Lakers while loathing Bird's Boston Celtics (even after University of Minnesota alum Kevin McHale joined the Celts). 

But whenever I went up to Wisconsin to see my dad's side of the family, it was all Milwaukee Bucks all the time. Because I desired to bond with my Uncle Gene (who was also the first "best friend" I ever had due to his being merely 10 years my senior), I quickly learned a lot about the Bucks. Coach Don Nelson (aka Nelly) was the team's fearless leader with perennial all stars Sidney Moncrief and Bob Lanier (who retired after the 1983-84 season) as the staples on court. However, in their first four seasons in the Eastern Conference, the Bucks couldn't get past the Philadelphia 76ers or Boston Celtics. Prior to the 1984-85 season, Milwaukee traded for a solid young power forward by the name of Terry Cummings in hopes that it could propel them to the NBA Finals for the first time since 1974. Despite winning six straight Central Division titles (1981 thru 1986), the Bucks never did usurp either Philly or Boston in the East.

After going "one and done" in three playoff appearances in the 1990s and only once getting out of the first round the first 19 seasons of the new millennium, the Bucks looked legit after a 60-win season and a birth in the East Conference finals in 2018-19. It also didn't hurt that they had a franchise altering talent in Giannis Antetokounmpo starting to come into his own. After signing a contract extension with Milwaukee last December,  Antetokounmpo was betting on himself that he could lead the Bucks to the proverbial Promised Land for the first time in a half century. And thanks to an MVP performance in this year's NBA Finals along with clutch play from Khris Middleton (whose first year with the club was Giannis' rookie season of 2013-14 when the Bucks won all of 15 games) and Jrue Holiday, the Milwaukee Bucks are 2021 NBA champions!

Given my unabashed allegiance to all things Minnesota sports, this might come as a surprise to you that I am showering accolades upon anything Wisconsin. And while I make a habit of trolling the NFL's Green Bay Packers or any University of Wisconsin sports team, the fact is I am genuinely happy for the Bucks and their fans. Given the Bucks are in a different conference altogether from my Minnesota Timberwolves squad, it doesn't feel as blasphemous to rejoice with our neighbors to the east. 

Enjoy, cheeseheads! Your club earned this one. 

----------------------------------------------------------

No comments: