Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Where credit is due

I don't really have a whole lot to add to the news of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz issuing a "stay at home" order for the next two weeks in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19. I believe we know enough to ascertain that if merely a handful of people avoid infection that it could potentially spare hundreds if not thousands from obtaining it. Exponential growth is legit with this thing.

On a different note, I will say that I have been impressed with Gov. Walz's leadership in the midst of this pandemic. He has been matter-of-fact in assessing the seriousness of this coronavirus without engaging in fear mongering or using it as a cudgel against his political opponents. Can you imagine for a millisecond if we were still under the Mark Dayton administration?!?!? I'm not being flip when I say that I don't believe he would have lasted an entire week maintaining a modicum of dignity.

Personally, I'm OK staying at home since I have everything I need to fulfill the tasks of my day job. And in talking to management at the site of my side hustle, AM 1280 The Patriot, they have the technology which will allow me to broadcast my Sunday radio show from home!

In the meantime, I will pray fervently that we get through this pandemic with as few casualties as possible. Stay safe, all.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

jerrye92002 said...

Oh, come now, the Walz Commissariat demands we all stay home, because he says so, and then cites some phony-baloney numbers to make us buy it? He should start by saying that since the schools are closed, teachers and other MN State employees don't get paid. THEN see how long his edict lasts.

Brad Carlson said...

Oh, come now, the Walz Commissariat demands we all stay home, because he says so, and then cites some phony-baloney numbers to make us buy it?

We're not going to agree on this. Given the nature of this virus, the projections are downright scary if we don't exercise the proper distancing. Nothing phony about it.

I'll concede the "stay at home" order may be a tad excessive given most Minnesotans were already engaging in the proper precautions. However, it's hardly going to resemble a police state if a handful of folks are out driving around.

jerrye92002 said...

I hate to disagree, but "the projections" seem to bear no resemblance to the reality. Only recently did the total US deaths from CV exceed the deaths from seasonal flu (for which we DO have a vaccine) for one WEEK. Walz's reliance on those numbers to issue Executive ORDERS, rather than strong suggestions, I find more worrisome.