Monday, March 16, 2020

Genuinely torn (UPDATE: Walz closes MN bars and restaurants)

My friend Bryan Strawser, who works in crisis management, posed the following question on Sunday evening.

You're the Governor of a large midwestern state. You've declared a State of Emergency and have broad emergency powers authorized by state statute.

The CDC issues a recommendation that events over 50 people be prohibited - your state commissioner of Public Health (a member of your cabinet that you have chosen and trust) strongly urges you to issue an Executive Order prohibiting events over 50 people in your state for eight weeks. Your attorney general assures you this is within your legal authority as Governor.

What do you do?
Why or why not?

I consider myself an unabashed capitalist, so I normally eschew the notion of government dictating how a private, legitimate business conducts itself. So if, in Minnesota's case, Gov. Tim Walz issued such an Executive Order (similar to what has been done in Ohio and Illinois), it would inevitably hurt bars and restaurants, thus adversely impacting many livelihoods. So my initial instinct would be for government to serve as the purveyor of information and then allowing public health officials to attach strong recommendations as to how citizens should approach this harrowing situation.

That said, we could also argue that we're dealing with a pandemic that is unprecedented in the modern age. With literally no human on the planet immune to COVID-19, the risk of exponential exposure and infection goes down significantly if an establishment is limited to 50 people as opposed to accommodating, say, 100. And with St. Patrick's Day on Tuesday, there is exactly zero chance of any social distancing occurring.

For me, I have no issues with hunkering down at home and avoiding big crowds. I literally have no pressing engagements (outside of my employment) for more than two months, so I would not be doing anything differently regardless of what action Walz takes. But not everyone is like me (and for that, we should all be grateful).

Given some of the sobering information that has come out about this outbreak, it's refreshing that many who underestimated the severity initially are no longer so cavalier about it. But when I'm tempted to say that people will, for the most part, act rationally in this crisis, I'm reminded of a conversation between Agents J & K in the movie Men In Black

Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.

Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.






If you've been to your local grocery store of late, Kay seems to be spot on in his assessment.

One thing I can say with certainty: I'm eternally grateful to not be in Gov. Walz's shoes at this point in time.


UPDATE: Walz closes MN bars and restaurants.

-------------------------------------------

No comments: