Thursday, February 14, 2019

Since it's Valentine's Day....

....,how 'bout a story regarding romance and politics?

Kassy Dillon, who founded Lone Conservative, a title inspired by her being on a proverbial island politically while in college, shared a tale of dating someone of opposite political beliefs. Spoiler alert: she conveyed that she will likely never date a Democrat again.


When I met the future Mrs. Carlson in 1998, I was about 6-7 years into my conversion to the political right. However, my political "involvement" was little more than listening to Rush Limbaugh's radio show and voting in every general election. Suffice to say I certainly wasn't engaged in the latest political news cycle to the extent I am today, so it might have been plausible for me to date a moderate Democrat. But could I ever date a Democrat today? Given I'm in a relationship with my true one and only, I don't actively contemplate dating anyone else.

But you wanna know how important political affiliation has become in the era of President Donald Trump?

The dating site OkCupid told HuffPost last month that for the first time in its 15-year history, the overall number of women who choose shared political views over "good sex" doubled from 2016 to 2018.


I'm certainly no expert, but I'm skeptical one could even have "good sex" with someone whose worldview they abhor. But the fact one's political affiliation is a prevailing sentiment shows you where we are as a society today. And to me, it's not a particularly healthy place.

---------------------------------------------

1 comment:

jerrye92002 said...

Simply proves that government has become FAR too big a factor in all of our lives. Cut government back about 50% and we would all be happier.