Thursday, December 03, 2015

Again we exclaim "Not Again!"

Heartbreaking. Depressing. Maddening. Scary.

Pick any adjective you like when describing yet another mass shooting.

Fourteen people were confirmed killed and 17 more wounded in a mass shooting at a San Bernardino community social services building.

“We do have some preliminary numbers of upwards of 14 people that are dead and upwards of 14 people that are injured,” said Chief Jarrod Burguan of San Bernardino Police. The number of injured was later upped to 17.

At least 10 of the injured are reportedly in critical condition.

Whenever I hear of horrific incidents such as this (and let's face it, it feels as though they've become much too commonplace), I feel the urge to pray. I pray for the survivors of the slain. I pray for the critically injured. I pray for the witnesses who were spared that they are able to overcome any emotional trauma.

But in the eyes of some people (including President Barack Obama), prayers just aren't enough in these times. In fact, calls for prayers in the aftermath of San Bernardino were met with scorn and ridicule by some on the left. I guess the reaction from the political portsiders shouldn't be all that surprising given they look at government itself as a deity. Any attention diverted away from their god is something they likely consider a mortal sin.

At the end of the day, I choose to trust in the Lord and lean not onto my own understanding. That can be a frustrating endeavor for our humanly desires which want to know more and understand how seemingly senseless things can happen. But I choose to continue to keep the faith because I know He sees the end from the beginning. And when I generally become annoyed (and at times flat out angry) with leftist demagogues in situations like this, I find that prayer is the absolute best antidote.

So with all due respect Mr President, prayers are not only enough but they are more than sufficient.

-----------------------------------------------

No comments: