Monday, June 05, 2006

Bring on the Schwab!

I have applied to be a contestant on the ESPN game show “Stump the Schwab.” This is an extravaganza where three poor saps contestants try their hand at outwitting sports industry veteran Howie Schwab.

I have been a veritable sports junkie since I was about nine. I have always kept track of sports stats and trivia to the point where people would ask “What in the world could you do with such worthless information?”

It served me well in 1988. WCCO radio offered eight tickets behind home plate to see a Minnesota Twins game if someone could call in and answer a trivia question. What was the question, you ask?

What was the score of the first ever regular season baseball game played at the Metrodome?

Given the fact that this was the 80s, a quick Google search was not available.

No matter.

I confidently called in and told them the Twins were defeated by the Seattle Mariners, 11-7.

The host chuckled and said he was merely looking for a score and not all of those other factoids. I guess I have always had that tendency of throwing in a lot of extra details when not asked for. Nonetheless, the tickets were mine!!

In preparing for a possible appearance, I have now watched several episodes of “Stump the Schwab”. Let’s just say I have my work cut out for me.

Well, on to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Wish me luck!

No comments: