In professional and college sports alike, you see your share of characters. I’m not talking merely about personality but rather the unique names of individuals. From NFL QB Guido Merkins to NBA star World B. Free to non-descript baseball player Buddy Biancalana, we have seen a plethora of unusual names.
What about some of the more common names amongst athletes?
If you’ve watched any pro or collegiate sports over the last 15-20 years, you no doubt have heard of Steve Smith and Dee Brown, right?
Now when I mentioned those names, the immediate reactions probably varied.
That’s because there seems to have been an inordinate number of athletes with those very names.
Here’s a little trivia game I like to call simply “Steve Smith or Dee Brown.”
I’ll give a short bio of a professional or collegiate athlete. You answer, quite simply, Steve Smith or Dee Brown.
1) Carolina Panthers wide receiver; named the NFC comeback player of the year in 2005.
2) NBA guard drafted fifth overall in 1991 out of Michigan State.
3) NBA guard drafted nineteenth overall in 1990 out of Jacksonville U.
4) Kansas City Chiefs running back. Originally drafted in the sixth round of the 2001 NFL draft by the Carolina Panthers.
5) Senior guard with the University of Illinois basketball team.
6) Wide receiver who just completed his junior season with the USC Trojans. A member of
the Trojans’ back-to-back national title teams in 2003 and 2004.
7) Was drafted by the Raiders in the third round of the 1987 NFL draft. A running back out of Penn State.
8) Outfielder who played with the Kansas City Royals for seven seasons.
Non-sports figures (EXTRA CREDIT)
9) The drummer of the 80s super group “Journey.”
10) The God-fearing bible student who, in 1985, introduced yours truly to the Lord.
1) Steve Smith
2) Steve Smith
3) Dee Brown
4) Dee Brown
5) Dee Brown
6) Steve Smith
7) Steve Smith
8) Dee Brown
9) Steve Smith