Thursday, July 30, 2026

Nuts!

The end of an era for one of the most recognizable (by sight *and* smell) landmarks in St. Paul.


Pearson’s Candy Co., the iconic St. Paul candy maker best known for Salted Nut Roll bars and Nut Goodies, plans to permanently close its West Seventh Street manufacturing facility this fall. The closure will eliminate about 80 jobs.

The company notified Minnesota’s State Rapid Response Team that it will permanently shut down its plant at 2140 W. Seventh St. because of a lack of financial sustainability to continue operations, according to a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification.

The closure and layoffs are scheduled to take effect Sept. 28.

In a statement to the Pioneer Press, a Pearson’s spokesperson said the decision was made after careful consideration and “reflects the current business and economic environment.”

“At this time, we’re looking to move certain key brands of Pearson’s to a strategic partner and we’ll continue to explore all options in order to make these legacy products,” the statement said.

Pearson’s Candy was founded in Minneapolis in 1909 and moved to St. Paul in 1950. The current factory has been a fixture in St. Paul since it started production in 1957.


For the first six years of my life, I lived in general proximity of that plant. The daycare lady under whom my bro and I were charges while ma was working would occasionally drive by that facility when taking the kids out for activities. While I couldn't describe what I was sensing, I knew I was instantly drawn to that luscious aroma of nougat, caramel and salty Virginia peanuts. 


I believe I tasted a Pearson's Salted Nut Roll for the first time shortly thereafter. I know it was a Friday, because my mom would bring home a snack for my brother and me, courtesy of the 3M vending machine. Upon indulging, ma reminded me that we used to live near the building which made that delightful sweetness. From that point forward, the Salted Nut Roll became firmly entrenched in my top 5 favorite indulgences whenever the ol' sweet tooth comes a callin'. 


Fast forward about 30 years to Wednesday, July 11, 2007. It was near the end of my workday when I decided to partake in a Pearson's SNR. As the vending machine dispensed the treat, I noticed a business card taped to it. The card belonged to the organization's executive secretary with a note informing me that I won a 5-lb. Salted Nut Roll. I called the number on the card and confirmed I indeed was now the proud owner of a concoction that was the equivalent to 54 regular size candy bars!









Mrs. Carlson and I have often reflected on that particular week as one of the most trying times in our marriage. On Monday of that week, my sister-in law was hospitalized with a serious ailment. On Thursday, we were notified that we'd have to endure an audit from the IRS. Then on Friday the 13th (rather fitting) I was fired from that job. 

Looking back now, we like to think my winning a 5-lb. candy bar in the middle of that quagmire was God's way of injecting a little levity. While we had no idea how the various disasters of that season would be resolved, we held tight to His promise of never leaving or forsaking us. 

The mind is a funny thing, ain't it? A seemingly benign story about the closing of a manufacturing facility can set in motion memories (good and bad) which have spanned a half century.

-----------------------------------

No comments: