Thursday, February 15, 2018

Parkland tragedy

Upon hearing of an active shooter at Parkland, Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday afternoon, I made a vow to stay off Twitter the rest of the day. Sadly we've been down this road all too often the past decade-plus where innocent people going through a normal day (e.g. attending school, work, church, etc.) are senselessly gunned down. And when such incidents have occurred, the immediate response is to politicize the event by assigning blame. Nobody wins in those displays of grandstanding, so I removed myself from any temptation to be part of the melee.

Personally, I've chosen to pray fervently for those who lost loved ones in this tragedy as well as the survivors who are likely in utter shock over what happened in their midst. Yes I'm aware that offering "thought and prayers" is met with invective by secularists. I don't care. Those most deeply affected by this shooting need all the comfort we can offer. Using their friends/loved ones as political pawns will do the exact opposite of that. So I'm opting out of the verbal battle royal.

So does that mean I'm advocating that nothing be done to address the issues surrounding these mass shootings? Of course not. I'm all for civil discourse where cold hard facts on both sides are presented and pored over in a dignified manner. Ah, but such a meeting of minds will probably result in having to accept data which may undermine a preferred narrative or worldview. Sadly in today's social/political environment, such acknowledgment just doesn't seem possible.

I guess that means I should be doubling up on those thoughts and prayers.

--------------------------------------

No comments: