Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Just an FYI to the anti-Trump crowd

I'm speaking particularly to the anti-Trump crowd on the left.

Before Donald Trump became the official Republican nominee for President in the summer of 2016, I know a good number of y'all were secretly hoping (if not downright advocating) for him to be the GOP's presidential candidate. Believe me, I understand your logic. Of the top tier GOP candidates (specifically Trump, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and John Kasich), Trump by far polled the worst in a head-to-head matchup with Hillary Clinton. You wanted the easiest path to victory for your candidate, so you no doubt believed you had it upon Trump receiving the official GOP nod in July.

Meanwhile, there were many right-of-center politicos like myself who, for a full year, were pulling out all the stops to prevent Trump from becoming our nominee. It was inexplicable to us how anyone could listen to Trump's feckless meandering and thus consider him to be a legit presidential candidate. But against our strenuous objections (and because the GOP doesn't have the defense mechanism of "super delegates" like you Dems), Trump was able to steam roll through to the nomination. While some anti-Trump folks on the right were willing to don a HazMat suit on Election Day and cast a ballot for him, others either wrote in a different candidate or abstained from voting for president altogether.

Why am I bringing all this up now? Simple. A lot of lefties on Twitter often reply to my politically charged tweets with snark (and sometimes downright nastiness) because I am a conservative. The typical tone indicates that leftists assume I'm a Trump apologist. So for those of you leftists who are going to be nasty towards right-of-center folks because the president you abhor has an "R" next to his name: A lot of you are more responsible than people like myself for Trump being where he is today.

Sleep on that.

----------------------------------------------------

No comments: